10.20.2008

Shower time!

This weekend was the weekend of my bridal shower, held by my mother. Seriously it was awesome - perfect even. I had an amazing time! Let's recap, shall we?

Friday night after work - I ran home to clean up as quickly as I could. A college friend was coming to stay and my room looks like a tornado came through it. I even managed to vacuum before she showed up around 6. We grabbed something for dinner - my mom was monopolizing the kitching, cooking chicken a la king for what appeared to be all of Rhode Island, so we wouldn't be able to go in there. THEN we went to the liquor store and got 6 bottles of champagne for the punch the next day and headed back to the mad house. My mom had 2 friends and 1 aunt over, cutting up chicken and veggies and stirring pots all over. It was a mad house - but it smelled delicious! My friend Kelly and I were put to work, making little "thank you" tags to go on the favors, and then figuring out how to attach said tags. We wrapped about a million (or 16) door prizes and I tied pretty bows - Kelly is not so adept at the wrapping, and my mom thought it was hysterical. We put everything in baskets, favors and door prizes, and then it was 12:30....time for bed.

Saturday morning, we got up, showered and dressed. My mom was in panic mode - the shower didn't start until 1 pm and she left for the place at 10 am. Kelly and I grabbed some breakfast, picked up 3 dozen green balloons, extra plates and stopped back at my house, where we met my friend Kara. Then we went out to the facility and managed to NOT get lost! Yahoo! We got there around 12:15, where my mom and aunts were in a mad dash to get everything set up.

The room looked beautiful - my mother had arranged 7 round tables, white tableclothes and dark green placemats. Every place had a napkin and silverware, and as the centerpiece - ceramic pumpkins and a little vase with sunflowers, fall leaves and red and orange berries. It looked amazing! There was a table with cheese and crackers, one with veggies and one with some punch. Then the guests started arriving.

Everyone kept asking me, "Are you nervous for the shower?" but I couldn't think of anything to be nervous about - a room full of 50 awesome women hanging out and celebrating sounded like fun to me. Plus (a change from the first shower), I knew all their names and who they were, and had met them more than twice.

It seemed like the ladies just kept coming, and the gift table was overflowing. I couldn't even believe the packages we were getting. Kara, my oldest friend, was given the job of grabbing gifts, and she took it very seriously (honestly, she was trying to "beat" my other friend to get gifts and take them over, she is too funny!)

Then we sat down to eat. My Aunt Colleen, a whiz in the kitchen, had made a delicious salad - it had pears, craisins and walnuts on it and it was so goooood! Then my mother's Chicken a la King, with a side of green beans and garnished with a slice of orange and a strawberry. My aunts' carried out everyone's plates and the presentation was amazing! I am running out of different adjectives to use in this post, because it was just that great.

All the ladies in my family brought desserts: lemon squares, cheesecakes, truffles, apple crisp, and so many more yummy things!

Finally it was time to see what everyone had brought - we opened gifts for a long time, they just seemed to keep coming. We ended up with such beautiful things! Kevin got his coffee maker and toaster like he has been longing for. We got sooo many things, I couldn't believe it! Then Kevin came and we thanked everyone for coming and for all the beautiful gifts.

By far, my favorite was from Kara - it was a blanket from Things Remembered, with our names and the wedding date embroidered on it, and a little verse. It was so beautiful and sentimental.

When it was all done, we loaded up my car and Kevin's full of things and headed home. It was a great day and I was so glad for the time I got to spend with my family and friends!

Enjoy it!!

1 comment:

Mrs. Boom said...

SOunds like an AMAZING shower! So glad you had a great time. Hope someone took pics for you :)