12.01.2008

Oldies, but goodies

So, since I was pushing my classic Christmas movie on you yesterday, I think today I am going to do my top fave classic movies. You know, from back when movies were movies, with plots and stories and great characters and costumes and glamour (this was a conversation that was actually held at my grandmother's house yesterday).
It has been fairly easy for my to gain exposure to these movies...my grandfather's favorite piece of technology was a VCR. He taped and taped and taped the movies off TCM and made himself a virtual library. He even typed labels for each tape, numbered them and made 2 binders, movies in alphabetical order, so you can find the tape at a whim.

And so....the list:
*NOTE*
You must understand the appeal of a musical before you can appreciate this list. My best example and illustration of this is Yentl. Kind of a lame movie, if you ask me. It's not Bab's best. She plays a young Jewish girl who wants to study Torah, so when her father dies, she runs away, disguised as a boy and joins a school. She finds a study partner who she falls in love with, but who is engaged to another woman. When the woman's family forbids the study partner to marry him (his brother committed suicide, and that is no bueno for marriage), the study partner convinces Yentl to marry the woman. She manages to get around the whole "consummating the marriage" and she and the study partner go on a trip to another city. Here she reveals her secret - she is a WOMAN and she LOVES him. He runs around the room, shouting about how she is an abomination, a sin against God, against people and esp against his wife! WHY did he do this? WHY?! And Yentl's reply is, "Because I wanted to be near you. Because I love you." and they fall into each other's arms.


Um seriously, where else besides a musical could a confession of love change something around so quickly? Where else will you find someone break into song and have the crowd join in in harmony? Or know all the steps? I wish my life was a musical.... *sigh*


"Meet Me in St. Louis" - My absolute favorite. I watch this movie almost every night as I am falling asleep. I am confident I could watch this movie every day until I die and still love love love it. If you stick with the musicals, you can gloss over the addict years of Judy and you will always have a lovely picture of her. The Andy Hardy movies, Wizard of Oz, In the Good Old Summertime (a "You've Got Mail"-esque movie, also based on "The Shop Around the Corner")... she performs. But this is the best. She met her husband and was her happiest making this movie, and it shows - her performance in glowing.

"Gone with the Wind" - Vivian Leigh is to die for. Seriously, you will think Margaret Mitchell wrote the book just to honor her. Its a long one, over 3.5 hours, but totally worth it. Even if you only watch it once, even if you have to watch it in two sittings, DO IT. Better yet, read the book. It is a complete masterpiece. The woman spent 10 YEARS of her life writing this, her sole work.




"Singin' in the Rain" - Gene Kelly. Rain. Dancing. 'Nuff said. But seriously, this movie it a riot! And a musical. Which only adds to the enjoyment. The sidekick friend provides some great comic relief and it's just a very light-hearted movie. (For more Gene Kelly, try "Summer Stock", which also has the always wonderful Judy Garland)




"My Fair Lady" - While watching this movie, you also get to speak in a Cockney accent. We had to watch this in an World History class - clearly my teacher was trying to waste time, but she ended up hooking 120 girls on Audrey Hepburn and a large portion of us would SHOUT the songs from ski lifts that winter. You will never enjoy skiing as much again, knowing that you *could* be being serenaded with "I Could Have Danced All Night" by 16 yr old girls. (I also love Ms. Hepburn in "Sabrina" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's")



"Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" - Ah yes, those seven "slummocky" backwoodsmen trying to court seven of the girls in town... Honestly, who isn't going to choose the big, rugged man?

"Hit the Deck" - Featuring Jane Powell (see movie above). A movie about sailors, singing, dancing and as always with musicals, falling in love fast!



"Good News" - Set in the 1920s, when men were "sheiks" and wore their pants up to their pecs. I love June Allyson. The men in old movies are great, but the women steal the show. This is no exception. You will love June too. I promise. June Allyson and Peter Lawford are also paired up in "Little Women" playing Jo and Laurie, in case you love their chemistry.

"Random Harvest" - One of the non-musicals on my list, this is an old black and white. I know some people don't enjoy those, but this one is worth it. It starts out with a man, injured in World War I escaping the hospital. He suffers from amnesia and people come looking for him, but a young woman takes him in and helps him out. They fall in love and... well, they come across some problems, but I don't want to give it away.

"Imitation of Life" - There are two versions of this one, but I like the Lana Turner/Sandra Dee version personally. It begins with two single mothers, one white and one black, both struggling to make ends meet. When Laura (Lana Turner) realizes the other family is homeless, she offers their small flat up for the night. Annie ends up staying on as the housekeeper while Laura pursues her career as an actor. You will cry your eyes out by the end of this. For a while, the Annie-Sarah Jane (her daughter) story line takes a back seat to Laura's glamorous lifestyle and assorted lovers, but the end is heartbreaking. We just watching this at my grandmother's recently, and we had three generations bawling at the kitchen table.


So, now that you know exactly how lame I am....go rent a movie!

Enjoy it!!

1 comment:

Meg said...

Meagan, I think you may be a long lost sister of mine. I absolutely adore all of these movies. Meet me in St. louis is by FAR one of my favorites (i can't have a top, because I like them all soo much), I love seven wives for seven brothers (love the dancing and singing). Little Women is one of my favorites too!! Have you seen any of the movies with Esther Williams (famous for her swimming scenes, just beautiful lady) I love her movies, she's breathtaking. My mom and I watch TMC all the time, and especially now with Christmas time, they have some good ones, I can't wait to watch holiday inn!!! =)