4.23.2009

The story of us

Well, when I started this blog, I had originally intended to tell all about Kevin and I, how we met and everything. But I never really got around to it....so now is as good a time as any for a little bit of backstory, right?


Kevin and I went to the same college and we were in the same learning community (a group of related classes that you take with the same group of kids, so you get to know them and make friends). We sat together on our first day of English, and right away I knew I liked him. Of course, we started talking because we had the same pencil - green with flowers and a girls name on it. Mine, of course, said Meagan (which was exciting because I can never find anything personalized with my name spelled correctly) and his said his girlfriend's name. Nonetheless, we talked a bit and I eventually invited him to hang out with my friends. Which he did (and got into a fight with his gf about)....but when he came down to my room, we weren't there!


We were also in a Freshman Seminar together, a 1 credit class about dealing with college (yahoo!). One day in class we had to choose our theme song and bring it to play for the class. It had to be something that you thought "If I was in a movie, this would be the song playing when I walked into the room." Kevin's was most surprising. He got up there, this big 300+lb, 6 ft tall football player and on comes this tiny little voice singing, "Am I not pretty enough? Is my heart too broken?" (seriously, YouTube it folks - "Am I not pretty enough?" by Kasey Chambers)...and he wasn't even joking about it. I was hooked haha.


Well, time went on and when we came back to school sophomore year, Kevin was single. A friend of ours was dating a guy on the football team, who took it upon himself to try and set Kevin up....with my best friend Carolyn! I didn't say anything because I thought that he was really interested in Carolyn, and I didn't want to be second choice. Turns out, he was going along with it because he thought Cair liked him, and she was going along with it because she thought Kevin liked her. And neither of them actually liked each other in that way. One night a group of us went down by the lake and Kevin and I had a really good conversation, it felt like we just clicked. But I just let it go. 

((Kevin points to this night and says, 'If you'd only said something, we could have been together." But I think I needed the experiences I had later to appreciate what a catch he really is.))

Summer came and went, and shortly after we got back to school, I re-met and started dating my first serious boyfriend, also (conveniently enough) named Kevin. It was a wild start and a crazy ride. We were NOT good for each other. Kevin was very jealous and possessive and I withdrew from my friends. At the same time, Kevin (the husband, not the ex) started dating his ex-girlfriend from freshman year....we lived in the same building, and often said hi to one another but we were not really friends.

By the time senior year had rolled around, I had broken up with my bf but Kevin was still dating his ex. Actually, I was after another football player (having given up on Kevin) named Moose (actually, now that I think about this, Kevin does not know this). It was a lot of stolen glances and nothing of substance. Made for a lot of fun for us girls though - being silly. 

I graduated early in Dec '06 and moved back home. One day before the new semester was starting, Kevin's relationship status on Facebook changed to single (and we all know that its not official until its on Facebook). My friend called to give me an update, I checked what she was saying, and I ran downstairs and told my mom "Kevin is single and I love him and we're getting married." Later in the week, I made plans to come up and visit my friends still at school and we found out Kevin and his friends would be out celebrating his roommate's birthday at the bar we went to every Sat night. 

That night, I said "I'm going to buy him a beer." That was the plan. We ran into him and his roommate standing up against a wall - they weren't really into the club scene. We all said hi, and told Sven "Happy Birthday" and went out to dance. I went to the bathroom by myself, and on the way back I stopped to talk to Kevin, saying I couldn't see my friends and I lost them. Him being almost a foot taller than me, said he could see them out on the dance floor. So I said, 'Thanks. Do you want to come and dance with me?" and (completely out of character for him) he said yes. We danced all night and had a good time, and when the lights came on at the end of the night, I asked him back to have a beer with us. He drove home with us and we had a couple beers, my friends went to bed and we stayed up until 7am, just talking about anything and everything. That was it for me - I was sold.

Two months later, we made it official. Two months after that, he was telling me that he could see himself spending the rest of his life with me. And five months later, we were engaged. Ah, l'amore.