10.07.2009

Smashed Potato Soup

So for my triumphant return to blogging, I bring you a RECIPE! This is a simple soup recipe that is super easy to throw together Sunday night and take for lunch the rest of the week. I just made it, had a bowl for myself and ladled the rest into 3 storage containers, currently residing in my fridge so they are ready to go when I am.

Smashed Potato Soup

½ cup coarsely chopped carrot*

½ cup coarsely chopped celery*

1 pkg. (1 lb. 4 oz.) refrigerated mashed potatoes

1 can (14 1/2 ozs.) 99% fat free chicken broth (I used the lower sodium kind)

½ cup fat free milk

1 garlic clove, pressed

¼ tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. ground black pepper

½ cup reduced fat sour cream (I used the whole 8 oz container. I don't use sour cream enough that I want it to be hanging around.)

2 tbsp. snipped fresh parsley (I usually skip this, I am lazy and don't use parsley for anything, so I don't buy it special for this)

 *As mentioned above, I am lazy. I also don't eat celery, unless it is in soup, so I don't go out of my way to buy it for this recipe. Instead, I grab the bag of diced mirepoix, which is already all set for me at the grocery store. It adds in some onion, which personally I like, and takes away some of the carrots and celery, which I could live without. Sometimes I even take it for a spin in my chopper, but be warned: this will give your soup an orange-y tint from the carrot juices.

The original instructions for this recipe ask you to coarsely chop the carrots and celery, place the mashed potatoes in a medium saucepan, gradually add in milk and broth, whisk until smooth and then add in the carrot, celery, garlic, salt and pepper. And while I think these are fine instructions, I am being lazy and using the already chopped up (and onion added) mirepoix, and so I saute this first, just to soften up the veggies and get a little additional flavor. This is supposed to be a healthy recipe, so use fats sparingly. Once the veggies look good, I stir in the garlic and let it sit another minute. THEN I add the potatoes and liquids, salt and black pepper. I think it adds a little flavor that way. But it is up to you. 

Once you have all the aforementioned ingredients combined, bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. 

Remove the pot from the heat, then stir in the sour cream and parsley. Voila!

This soup reheats wonderfully, and of course you can add a little flavor (and calories) with some shredded cheese or bacon crumbles on top, or even sliced green onions. But it is delicious as it. 

Another suggestion might be to make a baked potato, then cube that and add it in to the soup, if you would like it a little chunkier. Don't boil the potatoes, though. I made that mistake only once. Ye-uck!

Enjoy it!!


No comments: