7.25.2009

In Memory








K - Theodore W. July 9, 2009, beloved husband 
of Evelyn (nee P); dear father of Marsha (David) L, 
Elizabeth (Michael) S, Anthony (Sandra) K, 
Barbara (Michael) K and Mary (Craig) K; 
grandfather of 14 grand and two great-grandchildren; 
son of the late Frank and Sophia; brother of 
Walter and the late Peter (late Bernice) 
and Florence (late Edward) W; also survived by nieces 
and nephews. Funeral from the JOS. FUNERAL HOME, 
Saturday 11:15 and Queen of Angels Church 11:30. 
Visitation Friday 2-4 and 7-9 PM. Theodore was a WW II 
veteran, recipient of the Purple Heart and Silver Star, 
member of the Matthew Glab Post #1477, a St. Joseph's 
Workers, and former Trustee of St. Michael's 
Church and Holy Name.


I've been wanting to post about this for a while, but I just couldn't figure out how to get into it. All I keep thinking is how selfish I am, because I want more time with him. He would have been 90 in September. And I got to spend the last 24 years with him. 24 years with a man who thought he'd never live to see 50. "Don't get old," he would say. "I used to say, 'I'll never make it to 50. Then 60. Then 70. And look at me, almost 90 years old!'"

He loved a lot of things, but one of his last conversations with the doctors was about us, how every Sunday we all come over to their house for dinner, even the grandkids, all 14, and we all get along. And we do. We don't have a ton of stuff in common, but we have a good time when we are together. 


This is my grandparents on their 50th Anniversary with all the grandkids 
(minus my cousin Matt who had a little too much fun the night before when 
we all went out together). There are a couple of spouses missing, but we all had a great time!

I'll miss all the old stories he would tell about work and the war and the Health Department. He wasn't always a big talker, but once he got going, he was on a roll. He recently started a conversation with my little sister about confession and sins and somehow ended up telling her about the loose women at the taverns with the low cut shirts and short skirts who would disappear with men out to their cars!

But I was so glad to hear about all the wonderful things he did with his time here. Hearing about him from others who knew him way back when was almost magical. As I've gotten older, he had become a lot more dependent - he had arthritis that slowed him down and made him less steady on his feet, and lost his sight to macular degeneration. But back in his prime, he was very active in his community, even receiving an award from the Diocese of Buffalo for all the service his did for his church. 

May the Lord bless and keep you, and may you be happy with the Lord. 
I love you, Grandpa!

My grandparents and their 5 children
(L-R: Elizabeth, Barbara, Anthony, Marsha and Mary)

Pictured L-R: (back row) Mike, Barb, Dave, Marsha, Ryan, Mike, Liz, 
Mike, Tim, Andy, Meagan, Joe, Janelle, Nick, Mark, Sandy, Craig, Tony
(middle row) Amanda, Evelyn, Paul, Theodore, Cole, Mary
(bottom row) Leslie, Emily

No comments: